For reading I found reading to him at night and audio books helps with book selection and getting out of book slumps. If my son keeps reading a certain book over and over again or a certain type book over again for his own reading, fine. But our night time read aloud I generally find a few selections (that he then chooses from, or sometimes I just declare it is my choice).

And every once in a while I have no problem saying...you know this book is a hard one to get through. It sounded good but I am wondering how you feel. And then we select another book or finish depending on our discussion. And he knows that is okay and not the end of the world if you selected a book that wasn't a perfect fit.

We also talk about book selections as I select books for myself. And read the inside flaps and make choices for him. He isn't really good at making selections off the shelf just yet (he goes more by word of mouth/suggestions from others) but I am laying the foundation.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary