I think that ANY parent of a special-needs child feels this frustration particularly keenly during PreK through about grade 3, and then again during middle adolescence.

It's the transitions, and figuring out a new way to navigate in a world that isn't made for those differences.

It's so hard to want to address items M, N, and P (which other parents GET to address as their top priorities)... and feel cornered into instead needing to address items A, B, and C since those are such big problems. I've wanted to cry sometimes from the bitter realization that I'm pretty much never going to get to have a "fun" conference with a teacher... it's always about what isn't working or is violating my child's 504 plan. Good times. Well-- you know. frown

{hugs}

Just keep swimming, right?

Anyway-- like polarbear, I just wanted to let you know that it's really about the "figuring this out" of any new(ish) set of demands. It does get better with time and familiarity, though as you're probably gathering, it also gets bad again when the set of external demands changes again.

The good news is that you gradually become more nimble in your approach to solving these problems, and so does your child. That really is hope, I think. I don't spend nearly as much time battling things as I did in elementary school-- because I recognize brick walls and don't waste time on them now (I immediately look for an alternate route instead).

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.