Val,

(1) DS is in a dual-language school. It was upgraded from a dual-language program within elementary school 3 years ago. Brand new principal and GT teacher, and a challenging work to integrate spanish-speaking and non-spanish kids. They experimented grouping, mixed-grade grouping, etc. My DS was the first one they sent to middle school math, when they tried to group DS (3rd grade at that time) with 5th grade GT math and did not fit. They worked out all the scheduling negotiation with middle school while we did not even ask for subject acceleration. We are very lucky to have the principal and GT teacher who are so ready to help. That is why I was hesitant to raise the publicity issue.

(2) DS did not work much on math at home except 15-20 minutes for algebra homework from school. His time is occupied with other stuffs. No worksheets what so ever. But he attended middle school math club. They practiced mathcounts drills and contests.

(3) Studying with 8th graders on math was a confidence booster for DS, he loves it, but I am not sure if he is appropriately challenged because he is still bored in the class. Middle school teacher still have to stick to the rule of "no child left behind". Because of the scheduling difficulties, DS did not join the best 8th graders, he settled with the 2nd tier class. None of his classmates joined math club or took AMC8 test.