Thank you all for your responses and encouragement. I apologize for all of the typos/omissions.

MON, after reading what you wrote about the actual requirements for the writing curriculum I believe that DS5 probably has accomplished all of those. I will be doing some further reading before our next talk.

I do volunteer in DS's class. I would say that his writing is at least on par with the higher students in his class when looking at the curriculum parameters but he is slower, messier, and only writes exactly what he is asked to.

NOW for the exciting update!!!

While waiting to pick DS up from school I happened to check my email. The following is the email sent by his principal after last nights conference. I guess you all were right about it being a successful meeting.

Ms. E,

You are correct that it was a long day for all of us and we have another long day today as well. Everyone will be eager for an extended break starting on Wednesday. We hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving.

As I stated in the conference, our team will be continuing to discuss ways to challenge DS. Ms. S asked Ms. I, one of our GT teachers to meet with DS today. They met briefly and she will follow up on Monday with him as well to establish some new homework expectations. She also gave him a learning journal, challenged him to ask questions of others about their interest, to be open to the fact that he can continue to learn from him Kindergarten classmates, and that it's okay to not know everything.

In addition she established some optional vacation goals. Our hope is that you can support us at home by encouraging him to ask questions of others, specifically about others interest and passions, and that DS can use this to begin to explore new topics or things he may not know already. Again, the vacation challenge is not required.

My thought is that since we just met yesterday that we reconnect as a team the week of December 10th. This will give our team time to talk after Thanksgiving, as well as implement next steps we determine to support DS's academic and social growth. Thank you for continuing to work with us!

Principal

DS was very excited as he told me that he had actually been given something to study, Antarctica! The GT teacher also sent Because of Winn-Dixie home for him to read. I am all of sudden filled with hope!

Last edited by Eibbed; 11/20/12 01:05 PM.