Hi, all, this is a bit of a follow up to my post "Gifted and ADHD". I've been reviewing the results from the school's assessment. My husband and I filled out a Sensory Profile that is grouped into three sections: Sensory Processing, Modulation, and Behavioral and Emotional Responses. Typical performance (TP) corresponds to scores at or above 1 standard deviation from the mean; Probable difference (PD) is at or above 2 SD below the mean; Definite Difference (DD) is below 2 SD below the mean (lowest 2%). This is indexed in relation to age-related peers. My son (now 11) was 10.8 at the time. Here are the scores:

Factor Summary
1. Sensory Seeking: 53/85 DD
2. Emotionally Reactive: 33/80 DD
3. Low Endurance/Tone: 22/45 DD
4. Oral Sensory Sensitivity: 33/45 TP
5. Inattention/Distractibilty: 18/35 DD
6. Registration: 21/40 DD
7. Sensory Sensitivity: 13/20 DD
8. Sedentary: 8/20 DD
9. Fine Motor/Perceptual 10/15 TP

Section Summary
A. Auditory Processing: 20/40 DD
B. Visual Processing: 35/45 TP
C. Vestibular Processing: 43/55 DD
D. Touch Processing: 47/90 DD
E. Multisensory Processing: 23/35 DD
F. Oral Sensory Processing: 46/60 TP

Modulation
G. Sensory Processing Relating to Endurance/Tone: 22/45 DD
H. Modulation Related to Body Position and Movement: 45/50 TP
I. Modulation of Movement Affecting Activity Level: 17/35 DD
J. Modulation of Sensory Input Affecting Emotional Resposes: 9/20 DD
K. Modulation of Visual Input Affecting Emotional Responses and Activity: 9/20 DD
L. Emotional/Social Response: 45/85 DD
M. Behavioral Outcomes of Sensory Processing: 15/30 DD
N. Items Indicating Thresholds for Response: 9/15 TP

(That's a lot of DDs!)
The above indicate that son is experiencing difficulty with sensory processing at home. A teacher completed the Sensory Profile School Companion and everything came up Typical Peformance.

Summary: Scores on the SPSC indicate that son is not demonstrating sensory processing difficulties in the school environment. However, the Sensory Profile indcates that he does struggle in the home environment in several areas. Given this, he is managing quite well at school and able to attend and participate academically. The teacher noted that he appears ".. a little socially immature but works well with others and is making good grades". Note: He is grade skipped and two years younger than many classmates.

So, that's a lot of information and I don't know what to make of it. Sometimes I think that the rating scales my husband and I fill in are biased by our frustration, exhaustion, and impatience with him. Other times, I think we see best what the issues are. So, I don't know how to take this.

I referred in my post "Gifted and ADHD" that he could have ADHD or ASD but rereading this report, I'm wondering if we need to have the sensory stuff looked at first.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Give me ideas on where to go from here? What does any of it mean? I don't understand half of the categories. Why is he so different at home and at school? Is he using his high intelligence to help him compensate? We have an appointment with a neuropsych but not until June. I really need to do something before then as we are all frustrated and my son seems to be getting depressed ("I hate myself", "I'm so stupid", "I hate you; go away" - talking not to us but "whatever it is that makes me this way".)

Thanks again for your input and insight and suggestions and comments.

Last edited by petunia; 11/15/12 11:56 PM. Reason: fixed typos

What I am is good enough, if I would only be it openly. ~Carl Rogers