After spending a few days looking at houses and timing potential commutes, the less affluent but more "gifted is grouped together" district is pulling ahead in the decision making process. The commute is about half the other option. In researching the district more closely I came across another program they offer that might work for my son. It is not a gifted program per se but it does seem like it could address the needs of a gifted learner by being flexible. Here is the summary:

"The program provides an elementary school option emphasizing parental involvement, teacher continuity, and program flexibility. It serves students in grades one through six, from throughout the School District, who want a different educational delivery system than the standard school setting.

The program presents a meaningful, rigorous curriculum based on School District and State Standards, utilizing School District adopted textbooks and real-world materials to accomplish curriculum goals for a broad range of learners. Acceleration, enrichment, and reinforcement is provided as appropriate.

A student remains in the program from year-to-year, working with the same team of teachers.  The program has opportunities for multi-age learning to help students develop team-building and leadership skills.

Parents expand the learning team by providing the equivalent of two hours of volunteering per week. A strong bond is created between the home and school allowing parents to reinforce daily learning.  Volunteering opportunities are abundant and varied.  Working parents may arrange to volunteer after working hours."

The program uses positive discipline and a lot of hands on learning which I know will work well for my son.

There is also a Montessori program in the district which does multiage groupings.

So there are a few more reasons to like this district for the elementary years. We'd have some options.

Interestingly enough, the high school in this district had more National Merit Semifinalists than the smaller affluent school.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Last edited by KJP; 11/13/12 12:20 AM.