hi evemomma,
my DS6 complained the kids in his kinder were all babyish...
still, there are several kids from class he has frequent playdates with. they sort of just run around? my DS always seems to be having a good time and i believe he is, yet he wants more than that. he has said before he can't really "talk" to most of his friends. he says "they just look at me, they don't get me"

he went to art camp over the summer, was one of the youngest @ age 5, the next youngest was 7. it was all about art, and all kids were quite advanced in their skills. my DS and him really hit it off, turns out DS thought this boy was maybe 6 & the boy thought DS was just a small 7yo!!! even the boys mom said it...

even after discovering DS still just 5, this boy wanted to remain friends b/c they got along well, and understood each other.

what i should have realized THEN was that possibly DS needs social peers his own age, but also just as importantly--he needs intellectual peers as well... which is what he had with the 7yo.

this would have impacted my decision to put him in kinder vs 1st- only i completely forgot about this experience at the time and could only think he needed to be with his same age peers.

live & learn?!

One can never consent to creep when
one feels an impulse to soar!
~Helen Keller