Evemomma-
I can relate so much to this post. I actually tried talking to ds teacher about it (not sure why). My ds also conforms at school to fit in with other kids, but never plays or asks about those things at home. We were at a museum bookstore recently, when ds started looking at adult books about animals. He said, "I know these are for older people, but when can I start learning more facts about animals?" Made me think that I probably should look into some of that. Ds would love it.
I don't have any advice, as I keep thinking my ds feels different. He has not told me that, but has "no friends" according to ds in his class and has asked lots of questions about when he can go to 1st grade. In the past, I know my ds was allowed to read to the kids in his class everyday which helped. This year, he is not asking for play dates and seems ok with spending time with me, dh, and ds2. He just finished soccer and had friends there. He also swims and loves it. I've been told once he gets put in gifted, it will help cuz there will be more kids with higher level thinking to pick from. We'll see.
I can say if my ds saw the poster you ds made, he would be calling the same day! Good luck. Hang in there. These are hard life lessons to learn...and watch. If you gain insight, please share.