Originally Posted by keet
Does my ds count as twice exceptional if he has a medical problem rather than a learning problem? Am I still allowed to post here? wink

Yes, Dear!

These bottlenecks can be pesky, and have a large effect on a child's self-esteem. My son was asked to exchange papers in 2nd grade so they could grade each other's work. On little girl commented on his 'baby handwritting' and it really hurt my son's feelings. Of course this behavior wasn't noticed or corrected. The next time the children were asked to swap papers, you can imagine the behavior that followed when my DS just plain refused. Did I mention that intensity seems common amoung gifted children? He got plenty of attention and 'correction' for refusing to follow the rules, and although he's a highly verbal kid, he's always had a difficult time using those advanced verbal skills to explain stuff to adults he doesn't feel safe with. So back then he could lecture for an hour about the habits and habitats of Pengins, but couldn't say: "I felt bad when Jane said I had baby handwriting."

So it's not just that the teacher was being dense. It's that he doesn't fit ND expectations. Most kids get insulted on Monday and appear to have forgotten all about it by Thursday. I'm not saying that it is forgotten, I figure that it's there, but much less accessible. There are some great stories about a teen age HG kid meeting his 2nd grade teacher in the grocery store and recalling every slight he suffered at her hands, with his mom looking on who also remembered him complaining of the same stuff back then. Apparently the teacher was quite suprised - ND kids just don't have that kind of memory strengths. blush

So yes post here no matter what the 2E issues is, and even if it's just plain Asynchronous Behavior that's looking like a disability. I call my son '2Eish' and expect it will be years before I can have that 'Aha!' feeling.

Best Wishes,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com