I know I'm pathetic in that I don't know all the rules (odd for a former lawyer to actively try not to read the rules LOL, I just don't want to go there; hence, pathetic), but my understanding was that OT was a subject for an IEP rather than a 504 plan. My DS5 has an IEP for speech and for OT for fine motor/handwriting. I don't understand the statement that they won't do an OT assessment unless he qualifies for an IEP - I believe that it may be the OT assessment that does the qualifiying! In our school district, we just have to call to request such an assessment - that's what I did, after discussing it with his preschool teacher. We just threw speech in there since I've had him in private therapy for that anyway. I believe he qualified for OT under an IEP because his score on the OT assessment reached a sufficiently low level, and he could have had OT regardless of his speech situation. Do you mean that if your child's overall performance is not below grade level, you might not get an IEP? That may be, but I think handwriting might be a discrete task in that sense and can be evaluated regardless of overall achievement - though I suppose this is one of those areas in which all school districts interpret the rules differently.

I'm a little crazy at the moment due to stuff going on at home, so I might not make much sense....
smile