Originally Posted by epoh
I'd work with the teacher to see about giving her slightly harder problems when it comes time to hand out work. Maybe have it part of the same lesson, but more complicated, if that makes sense. I know math tends to focus on a single thing at a time, and the problems will be relatively simple, save for the one topic they are working on. I don't know how hard that would be for the teacher though.

Maybe I'll send an email to the teacher and ask her if she has any further thoughts on this since we spoke at conferences. I got the impression that she would be willing to try to differentiate but that she wanted DD to advocate for it herself.

Originally Posted by epoh
Is math the only class that's like this? If so, I would stay in touch with the teacher, but I wouldn't worry too much about pushing her right at the moment. Things may change as the year goes on.

DD has straight As but math is the only place where she hasn't missed a single point in weeks. I also hate that they have online access to every entry into the grade books and are told by their teachers to check their grades regularly. It's a perfectionism nightmare. DD probably would be a good candidate for a skip but she is not interested for social reasons.