Okay, I'm only writing this message based on what I've read, and may not have all the facts. Correct me if I'm wrong. You said that you're thinking of homeschooling and you also said:

i am single parent w/o support and
i currently do not have insurance, i cannot afford speech therapy, i cannot afford private school.
i receive no public assistance.

Are you working? If so, how will you find the time to homeschool? What will your son do while you're working? How will you afford the costs associated with homeschooling?

I have to be honest: I want to make suggestions that could help you, but it's very hard for me to read through your messages. They tend go from idea to idea, and it's hard to see your main points. There are a lot of missing capitals (i am), text message abbreviations (b/c), and other things that get in the way of reading. When you write like this, people might not take you seriously. I'm not trying to be mean! I'm trying to HELP you be effective when you write to your son's school. And you MUST write to them. Talking isn't enough.

Could your son's teacher and principal be having the same problem when you write to them?

Here's what I'm thinking:

• For now, you're stuck with this school. Everyone here understands how terrible that can be. Your job is to try to make things less bad for your child. I suggest that you write down the MOST IMPORTANT problems your son is having at school and then discuss them with his teacher.

Example: "DS was assessed as being ready for first grade in June 2012, but now he's having trouble with material for kindergarten. I think part of his problem is that he's being underchallenged and he's shutting down. I'm concerned for his mental health at this point and would like to work with you to help him."
  • Stick to the main points. Don't go off onto related ideas.
  • Make suggestions. Give them some ideas for solutions. Don't wait for them to make suggestions.
  • If you want to write a draft of an email to the school, post it here and people can help you with it.

Last edited by Val; 11/04/12 03:04 PM.