i am devastated.
my happy, bright, eager to learn new things and excited about real school- newly turned DS6 (in kinder)
went from being the above to being after the newness of kinder wore off after wk one to
#1---
bored...and disappointed.
complaining & wondering when the teacher would be teaching things he didn't already know....to being
#2---
completely apathetic in regard to school AND questioning his own intelligience
IE-he is now asking if maybe he is "stupid" and that is why the teacher doesn't want to teach him new stuff? and kids really just want to play, they don't want to learn, so maybe he isn't supposed to want to learn?
he asks what is the point of being alive?
to now---
about the only highlight of school left for him WAS recess and playing with friends- which has now evaporated-
#3---
he is "withdrawing", he no longer cares about playing,
@recess he sits alone, withdrawing into his "think dreams" so he can teach himself new things about the world. (what he says about these).

UPDATE:
i realized i need to be a better advocate for my son, i also didn't like the way i was getting so negative, and i decided to "regroup"!
i had an impromptu yet informative mtg with the asst principal today, basically i learned more of what the teacher is thinking in regard to my DS6. very enlightening to say the least!

i then contacted the district gifted/talented office as well as the magnet office-- and learned a lot of very important info re getting DS6 into a gifted program!!

#1 being that because my son was verified as gifted in june 2012, he does not "lose" that status, just because he is underchallenged and bored, and therefore underachieving presently in school does not mean that he does not have these abilites etc, and

#2 i learned that i can go ahead and apply for him to enter a gifted/high ability magnet for next year as a 1st grader and the very next day after i file the app, i can withdraw him from public school and he remains eligible.

basically it was empowering to have the solid facts, and to know that my DS6 present situation is not an uncommon one for them to hear... it means here in this district my son is not alone, others have cleared way along this path, and these fine folks at these district offices assurred me that they are on my DS6 side.

*my son is 2E and has his annual IEP review this week, upon a successful IEP outcome, the following day i will withdraw him from public school. ((when he enters back into the district, his IEP will already be in place- is the plan here))

thanks to the many people who have commented, and to the countless folks who have contributed so many threads to this board, and i have read and got valuable info & inspiration from smile

Last edited by cc6; 11/05/12 05:40 PM. Reason: update