Originally Posted by ABQMom
Truly effective teaching inspires students to compete against themselves and to collaborate and support each other. My kids have had maybe three or four teachers who knew how to do this, and the effect on the entire class was impressive.

I agree with this. And even if praising the 100 WERE an effective form of motivation (which I don't think it is), there is no need to name the person who received the grade. Just say one person received a 100, they know who they are and will still feel the praise. Once, in college, a professor observed that one person got a 100% and if they'd like to identify themselves they could. I chose not to. I saw no benefit to myself in doing so.

Alternatively, in high school I got a certain sense of satisfaction, I admit, by NOT disclosing my grades to my more highly competitive classmates. Drove them nuts that they couldn't tell if they had "beat" me or not. They got no real info on my grades until class ranks came out. I admit to enjoying that a bit, particularly because my approach to academics was to compete with myself and not others. It did not really matter to me what THEIR grades were, so I saw no valid reason to share mine with them. Not sharing did have some entertainment value, though! smile