Originally Posted by Dbat
So the question, aside from anything else is, is it proper to suggest trying (ADHD) medication and seeing what happens, as opposed to trying to figure out what the 'diagnoses' actually are and then trying to treat them accordingly?

This happened to us as well (sort of). The difference is that we have an ADHD diagnosis from one psychologist and another psychologist who thinks DS8 is ASD suggested using the ADHD meds diagnostically, and "when you see that they don't work, you'll see that it's ASD and not ADHD." I just smiled politely while I was shoveling everything he said into my brain's trash bin.

I just think that probably any kid (even a 'normal' one) would become more pliable on ADHD medication and that the teacher would be likely to report 'improvement' (i.e., kid's not causing as many problems now) regardless of what disorders they did or didn't have.

I'm not sure if this is true, although you hear stories of people trying to buy meds so they can score better on tests. I don't know. I would think that if the medication wasn't right there might be side effects?

We aren't going to do it at least for now because I don't think that DD's ADHD-ish-ness comes from ADHD--at least not until somebody who is in a position to know evaluates and explains it, which we are working on.

We haven't done it either. We are also not opposed to meds in the right situation, and if DS's diagnosis was clear cut we may have tried them. However he's a bit of an enigma, and I'm not a fan of medicating diagnostically.