Tbh Petunia, we hit the bottom of the barrel and had tried a skip, which was really a double skip as it was a split class and she went in the lower year working the upper year curriculum, p/t home schooling (on psych advice) - everything, before I realised I was spending more time clearing up the mess of the day than it would to home school f/t - it would be 3am and she would still be crying alone in her room etc. so I withdrew her. The radical acceleration was offered on a plate a few months later. I'd never have pursued it, but I sought advice on whether or not to accept it and was informed it would be a good choice, although she would still probably need extension at home on top. We were offered maths and science, but only took science. Then she did really well in her end of term exams and was offered maths (again) and english too. I asked dd what she thought and she said she'd like to try English as well. She has immense maths anxiety because it's her weakest subject and she doesn't think she's very good at it so isn't ready for that. I suppose the short answer is I couldn't keep up with the science at home and was desperate for any help I could get... I was out of options and it was the only way I could see to move forward. I'm not sure if this helps at all though!

'I want, by understanding myself, to understand others.'
K Mansfield