Evemomma-
Don't think ds did badly on reading evaluation. I wonder what method the teacher did to send that book home. My ds's teacher did DRA eval, where the student reads to the teacher and she takes notes. The teacher told me that she asked ds to read a level 8, and since he did well, she leveled him as a 10. At least in our case, the teacher and assistant have both told me they know he is above kindergarten level, but they're not sure where his level is. I realize my ds is not the only student, but I'm sure in the teacher 20+ years experience, she has seen this before and/ or would ask someone else for advice/ guidance about what to do with ds. At this point, I am waiting to see what AR level he will fall in, then I will have more objective information to get differentiation in language arts, too. Unless, the teacher realizes he will need that too. For now, I will continue to stay in close contact with the teacher.
This is leading me to wonder if there is anything I can do for next year to prevent (somewhat) dealing with this again. Would it be appropriate to have a chat with the principal? (I know I'm thinking ahead, but that's what I do. Having a plan is a comfort, even if it has to be revised.) any thoughts?