Oh my goodness! What a horrible response! First of all, if the school feels that he has a speech impediment, why didn't they mention it earlier? And 95 out of 100 goals is pretty good for five years old, having just started school. How many "normal" kids reach every single milestone by the end of the year? I know for a fact that my son's school has kids who are in third grade, and still performing at a second grade level. Of course they can not develop a specific curriculum for every single child in the school - but they can, and should, differentiate the curriculum as much as possible. It's like I told my son's teacher last year: I am well aware that with 20 kids in the class, he is not going to get as much individual instruction as he would with a private tutor. Some classroom assignments are going to be easy for him. My point is that I expect him to get SOME challenge at SOME point during the day. If he is not learning anything at school, why is he there at all?
It infuriates me that schools jump at the chance to help a child who is struggling, but do nothing for a child who is bored to tears because he needs something more challenging. I have found, however, that it depends heavily on the teacher. Last year I had all but given up hope - this year, DS has a wonderful teacher who manages to juggle at least five different groups in math and language arts. He could handle a little more, I think, but the point is that he is learning something. That is what matters. Is it possible to talk to other parents and find out if there are any teachers who may be more accomodating? A request to change teachers may be met with less of a struggle than a grade skip. (Don't get me wrong, if you think he needs the skip, keep fighting for it. But this could be a small step).
Wish I could help more. I'm sure the accelerated math at home is helpful, but extremely time consuming. Unfortunately, it may be the only option until you can convince them that gifted kids are just as important as the rest. frown