Sweetpeas
DS 6.5 was an early reader and also found phonics very irritating. But to me at the time it seemed more symptomatic of how slow he found prek, he couldn't believe how much time they spent doing it when you could READ! He tends to be a whole word reader but does try to work it out on his own, which is hysterical with big words - what, what? So I would say he was totally resistant to it but did eventually pay attention to it.Although he advanced so quickly and has such a large vocab now that he does what adults do - ask or look it up.

Two fun ways to work on it - even for early readers - although you have a short window here before it becomes too easy - starfall, website and app - for non readers but if you want to go over it, it's fun and nicely presented so maybe less resistance. And wordworld on PBS - you made a word - very visual way of phonics. DS loved the idea of it and enjoyed the sweet approach but as a reader he moved on quickly - super why too, although that's less phonics if I remember correctly.

DeHe