Originally Posted by Old Dad
This problem isn't limited to whole language readers. I've seen numerous, though not frequent, kids who just "Get it" when it comes to math, even Algebra and Calc. They don't have to write the problem down and work through it on paper, it just computes in their head. They become very resistant and frustrated when the teacher wants them to show their work and deducts points for not doing so, it makes no sense to them, why should they have to show their work as long as they got the right answer? What work was there to show since...it wasn't work? They also often figure out their own way of doing math that indeed does work, it might not be the quickest way, however, it's the way that makes sense to them. There are pros and cons to that, they're able to solve complex math problems without being taught (a great thing), however, it's often not fast.

Yes, this is the problem that DS(now10) has. He didn't do any work to get the answer, and doesn't know what to write down. On the baby stuff that he brought home once in a while in first grade, where the question was "how do you know this is the answer?" this showed up as "because it is." Seriously, how do you show your work for 5+1 = 6? Well, I added 1 to 5, and it was 6.

DS was reading by age 2, and he never sounded anything out. He just read the words, no matter how big they were or what they looked like. I was afraid we'd have to go back and teach him phonics, but he appeared to have absorbed it through osmosis. He never had any trouble with it, he just knew it. On the Word Attack part of the WJIII when he was 5, he scored something like "15th grade" or age 21+ -- there wasn't a collection of letters there that he couldn't read.

He was also pretty resistant to the "what sound does B make" sort of questions -- luckily, he had teachers who knew not to ask him things like that. He didn't want any part of it.

Note that the "problem" in school came with his lack of comprehension. He has consistently tested "low" (which means low for him and usually around or only slightly above grade level) on comprehension, while maxing out the parts that measure ability to read. Teachers latch onto this as an area for concern, but it's perfectly understandable. When you're 2 and can read everything, naturally you don't understand what it's all about yet. That takes life experience, and a lot more reading. Gradually comprehension catches up. To me, it would be a lot worse to have more comprehension than reading skills. That would just be awful. But that's me. And, well, who among us can comprehend everything we read? Ever read the tax code? State statutes? Bills before Congress?