My ds also started reading at 2 as a whole language reader (I guess I'm assuming most self-taught kids probably are as the ability to process phonics (especially complex ones) is a higher developmental skill. Here is where we are at 6: ds remembers almost every word he reads, so his sight -word recognition is very advanced (blows me away) . Of course he understands simple phonics...but he has a harder time sounding out phonetically complex words. But he's still waaay beyond where the typical 6 year old is.

His decoding skills are great: he references words he knows when he gets to a tough one (yesterday "refracted" was "refractured") and he does an excellent job with contextual clues - that's something he started fling really early). Although he's learning to read "backwords", his reading is continuing to advance quickly.

I think what's going to help him the most is the phonetic-spelling they encourage for journal writing. My ds loved the Leap Frog videos when he was about 2-3. Code Word Caper tackles some advanced phonics.

We didn't push spelling skills until this year - selfishly thinking It would be at least ONE thing he could learn in school.