Thank you all for your thoughtful responses!

School has been in session for two weeks now, next week is week three.

This is not our son's first preschool. He attended a local Montessori for several months last year. He was in a 3-6 room. They weren't as accommodating as we had hoped. He, according to his teacher, was doing 6-year-old works from day one. About two months into the preschool, behavior issues started to crop up. Mostly, not wanting to sit still, not wanting to do what he was told, and refusing to participate in their circle time. Basically, he was too much of a handful for them. I theorize that he ran out of stuff to do, but who knows. Communication with the school always seemed a bit preemptively defensive on their part. We pulled him out thinking that he was maybe too young for preschool and maybe this particular one just wasn't a good fit.

So these behaviors aren't totally new. When we do activities like "My Gym" (a parent and kid gym class) we have a hard time getting him into circle there the time comes. We ask him why, but he doesn't really articulate a solid reason (not too surprising given his age). He basically just says "because I don't want to."

When I picked him up on Friday last week, his teacher told me that the 3/4 classroom would be better for him socially, and they could still meet his need academically. She said, as an example, there was a child in there that is reading at a 4th grade level. I was glad to hear that. Also, the student teacher ratio is really outstanding in the 3/4 classroom. 10 kids and 3 teachers (as opposed to 20 kids and 3 teachers in the 4/5). So he'd get more one-on-one attention.

I want to do what is right, and this issue is just all grey area. I have no idea what is right. I hope we will have a definite idea about what we want in time for the meeting. Right now, I feel myself going back and forth constantly.

ETA: I asked on Friday about skipping grades in the future, and the teacher said that "yes" they do skip grades if it is deemed appropriate. So, if he "catches up" socially by, say, 1st grade and is still far ahead academically - he might skip 2nd grade and go to 3rd. That was just an example she gave. I didn't ask about moving him mid-year, PolarBear, and that's a really good point. I'll bring that question up at our meeting next week.

Last edited by TinCat; 09/02/12 05:25 AM.