Originally Posted by momofonegirl
My only hesitation is that DD6 would go from being the top student to one that would have to work! This makes sense to me as a mom, but as far as confidence goes, I am not sure how this would go over.

I guess I'd think of it this way - that the harder work may be necessary in order to build her confidence. One of my favorite quotes: "When gifted children are not given opportunities to work at their own level and pace, they settle for less than their best. They learn to slide by without stretching themselves. Patterns of underachievement are subtle and cumulative; they become harder to overcome with each year. Students who attain A�s on their papers with no effort are not prepared to take more challenging classes in high school and college. When work is too easy, self-confidence to attempt difficult tasks is steadily eroded. A student who has the potential to win a scholarship to an Ivy League university settles for a B average at a state college." (emphasis added; http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/About_GDC/whytest.htm )

I have no advice re: acceleration but I think I need to save the other replies on this thread for future reference!

smile