Originally Posted by momofonegirl
about full grade skips. My only hesitation is that DD6 would go from being the top student to one that would have to work!

Mo1,
Not sure if this is actually true. Depending on LOG, level of giftedness, many children start to look insecure because they are freaked out by having to spend so much time working so far below their readiness level that their behavior mimics a really insecure person. Of course they second guess themselves - caught in a catch 22 of 'The adults know what they are doing. I can trust the adults. The adults put me in a stupid class. I must be stupid.' Children don't have the perspective to know that they are NOT in the stupid class - that this is what every child their age gets and yes, the adults aren't paying attention to Readiness Level for the most part, because adults don't expect HG or PG children to even exist!

I've lived this, and have seen my DS11 live it too, but for more of this in a written venue, try Sylvia Rimm's 'Why Bright Kids Get Poor Grades.'

As for if your child could handle a skip -
Spend 3 hours at your school in the potential recieving classrooms. Observe the work, the teachers, and how the children interact. If your dd ever does academic stuff at home, you'll know pretty quickly how she would fit in. If you don't know, bring some stuff home for her to try.

The formal way to know if a skip something the child could handle, is to read the Iowa Acceleration Scale Manual (unlike other Manuals this one is about 30$) Lovely quick read, and gives a research supported formula to tally up the expected results of a skip.

BTW - Dottie is right on about a signed written (not email) letter.

I might suggest requestion a grade skip and letting the school come up with subject acceleration as a compromise! Let them feel like they 'won.' You don't have to accept the full skip if it's offered, but it's easier to ask for less than to ask for more as you go.

Some kids seem built for subject accelerations and some kids seem built for gradeskips.

Let's see if I can expand that a bit.

Kids who love full skips -
1) very aware of what other kids are thinking, perhaps to a fault.
2) feel a strong grade identity
3) No older siblings to enjoy at home
4) Not so much aware of time, not independent enough to get up and walk out of an activity in full swing and go to an other part of the building.
5) Not so much aware of materials. May arrive at subject acceleration class without book or pencil. Loses stuff a lot.

Kids who love subject accelerations -
1) travel together to the recieving class with a few other friendly kids.
2) Not so aware of what other kids are thinking, if they know they don't much care.
3) Don't mind having that sort of attention drawn to them, not self-consious.
4) Have older siblings who they have always been able to play with, and play with the sib's older friends at home.
5) Not so identified with a particular class.
6) A kind, thoughtful 'homeroom' teacher who doesn't plan fun things while child is out of the room.
7) A kid who doesn't moon over the grass, which is always greener, in the classroom their aren't currently in.
8) A kind, thoughtful recieving teacher who is welcoming, and gives them a dedicated cubby or even a desk in the recieving class.

One of the big advantages of subject acceleration may be that you have a greater chance of getting teachers who 'get' you child. One of the big advantages of a full skip is that it can't be taken away due to some lame excuse. If you child is HG or more - your child probably needs both!

Best wishes,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com