Sorry I didn't see this and chime in sooner.

I have a son who was reading at 22 months (among other things), but wasn't dx as PG + Aspergers until he was 6. For SIX YEARS, I wondered and fought within myself wondering what was wrong with him, why he wasn't like other kids, what I should do about school, what I should do about friends, how to get people to stop making a spectacle of us as a family... etc, etc.

We waited until 6 for testing because we were told he would likely hit too many ceilings on the WPPSI. We waited for the WISC, but that meant we didn't find out about the Asperger's until he was already well aware of how different he was. We could've gotten advice/intervention sooner.

... then again, I'm glad we didn't know all that we know now. I may have done things differently with him, felt sorry for him, sheltered him, held him back, etc. He's grown SO MUCH over the past few years!! He'll never be the life of the party, and he'll never be an athlete, but he'll be well-adjusted for adult life, the answer to many problems, and above all, my son. smile

Be sure you get a second opinion, no matter what the dx. We had him tested by someone who specializes in giftedness, but she knew nothing about Aspergers. We had him see a neuropsych who was great with autism, but she knew nothing about giftedness. The two reports we got weren't opposites, but rather a clearer reflection of each other.

Last edited by GPBD; 08/29/12 07:38 PM.