Originally Posted by snowgirl
...I'm finding that I don't know anything about teaching to read phonetically since my other two were/are learning by sight words.:)

I use/used two approaches when teaching my kids to read:

1. Teach sounds of letters including short vowel sounds (they got this at daycare and from Daddy).

2. Start with little lists of words (cat, sat, hop, tub, etc.)

3. Teach reading through spelling. They all started writing on their own and then I enocouraged them. In fact, my youngest is having a tantrum outside the door right now because I won't let her in so she can type words (she was pounding on my photocopier and so I booted her OUT!).

4. Have you tried Bob books? They're the best introductory readers that I've found. They come in 5 little boxed sets of increasing difficulty.

5. Move to easy consonant combinations (st, tr, etc as opposed to sh, th, etc that aren't so intuitive). Stop, fast, trap, etc.

6. Introduce new non-intuitive ideas slowly so as not to overwhelm. If your child's name ends in -y, "y sounding like e at the end of a word" is a good first choice. Alternatively, any non-intuitive combination in the child's name is a good place to start if there is no -y ending (Amy, Sandy, etc).

7. Introduce silent e (game, name, hope) once the child is very good at short words. I did NOT wait until they had learned all the consonant combinations but introduced when I felt the kids were ready. I found that using examples like hop/hope, not/note etc. helps make the picture clear. Silent e takes time. My kids started by reading n-o-t....oh wait, nOTE.

Hope that helps. This is just an overview, but I hope it will give some guidance.

Val

Last edited by Val; 04/12/08 03:10 PM.