Wyldkat, I think there is the immediate issue, but there is also a future planning issue.

Do you feel he needs you as an aide only for the toileting, or also to manage the anxiety and SPD? How are the anxiety and SPD manifest, and how are they being addressed?

Do you plan to continue having him participate in charter school programming of this kind in the future?

Does the charter school honor IEPs?

My feeling is, if he needs an aide, then you should request a full educational evaluation from the school district, and go through that process. See what emerges. If the team finds that he needs resources (accommodations or services) to be successful in school, any public school (I think this includes charters, not sure) should be required to provide those resources. This may not be important for kindergarten as you are envisioning it, but may become more important as you want him to increase his independence.

Having you as his aide may not be the strategy that maximizes his learning for the long run; if he were mine, I'd set the ball rolling so that by next year, I'd know what other options exist.

DeeDee

ETA: Having an IEP would confer significant legal rights, including not being barred from school about the toileting; it could also offer services and supports to address the other issues.

Last edited by DeeDee; 08/17/12 07:56 AM.