Originally Posted by Wyldkat
Bear is finally over his fear of pooping on the potty. However he still prefers using his training potty and still won't go potty unless told to.

With one of my kids we went the full bowel-clinic-with-psychologist route and it came to this:

-- is he withholding and therefore constipated? if so, treat the constipation.
-- use reward systems to encourage the behavior you want to see; make it meaningful.
-- "eventually kids learn to do this."

Really; that was the standard professional advice from the major regional professionals. I know how hard this can be.

Originally Posted by Wyldkat
The problem is that the administrator does not want him in that class unless he is fully potty trained. He is 5 years and 6 months old and has sensory processing disorder and anxiety problems. He doesn't seem to know he needs to potty till a couple seconds before it happens, if that. I'm pretty sure discriminating against him because of the potty training issues is illegal (not to mention the fact I will be acting as his aid so they don't even have to provide one), can anyone give me any input on this? Big words and specific laws would be amazingly helpful for this particular situation. Thanks!

Is it a public or a private program? If private, they can exclude him on this basis.

It is true that after age 3 some doctors will provide a medical diagnosis of "incontinence"-- but you would still have to go through the formal evaluation process to have the medical problem recognized in a public school. You might have to get him an IEP, and in that process demonstrate that the potty issues are a result of his disability, and put into place a plan to work on the potty issues; it sounds like these folks you are dealing with are not set up for that.

I wish I could be more encouraging...
DeeDee