I philosophized and waxed poetic about this, asking, "should we change the world for our children or change our children to fit the world?". 
us & ours & some others change things wherever they go if they stay somewhere too long.  A class, a group, an organization, anything you stay in too long you're going to have an effect on just because of how you are.  They call that Intensity.  
So the question remains, change the world to fit our kids, or change the kids to fit the world? Either way these kids will change their world.  I don't mean discover cures or land on the moon (maybe so anyway).  I mean they will change their environment to suit their needs one way or another, eventually, for better or worse.  It is what it is.  

So, always speak up- for the general principle.  But kids are resilient and they'll squeak or squawk or puke or wilt to Let you know.  

Friends, family and neighbors say different things than I would.  I had to decide that the Whole World has more to offer a person than just I alone do. That's ok, because the world is extraordinary and I want my kid in it with both feet.  It's still ok to speak your mind.  If you didn't give that woman a piece of your mind it would have been stuck there.

That's just prose though. I've never left my kids anywhere besides a few times at grandmas for a few hours. I do have stuff get stuck in my head unless I say it though. Sometimes I don't say it and it literally does get stuck there.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar