Originally Posted by Nik
DeeHee, I wish there were more administrators/teachers like you! I asked the ADA contact at DD’s last college about getting supports in place and she said “we expect the students to just work it out with each of their teachers on an individual basis” sigh! For a 50K a year school, that’s a big chance to take (that DD who has/had severe anxiety would be comfortable spilling her soul to each of her teachers at the beginning of the year when she doesn’t know them, and that they would all be understanding and willing to work with her on reduced writing and the substitution of oral reports for written ones).

Nik
I am absolutely horrified by this - its not a policy if it is up to the individual professor to decide what to do. What does the ADA person do if not help the university determine standards? There need to be some standards for guiding professors who are only experts in their chosen field. Nor should students have deal with the attitudes that some professors and apparently administrators have about this, I want to use bigotry but that is not the right word. But as I said earlier, we just recently had a department chair force the grad school to do the right thing and not make it some half-a** response. I would really recommend having a list of accommodations you think will help for each class she wants to take. And her buy in here is critical - unfortunately she will be held to a higher standard in terms of work output within the confines of the help - meaning she is unlikely to get extra for being sick, etc if she has a professor who is not supportive. These things are to protect her in that sitatuion and so if she goes all teenager-y and blows stuff off it could really undermine what she is trying to do.

Feel free to PM me, and good luck!

DeHe