You may be caught in a very tough situation. One thing I'd want to have an idea of - do you think that the situation is just that the school staff doesn't want to provide differentiation/accelerated work for your dd... or is what you're running into more "global" - i.e. - the school staff doesn't want to do anything different for any student (not just for high ability kids)? If the case is the latter, you may be running head on into a brick wall that isn't going to budge. If it's not the latter, there may be some things you can do, but it may take awhile.

I'd also recommend getting a copy of the Iowa Acceleration Scales, as well as gathering up all the evidence you have of your dd's abilities - report cards, exceptional classroom work, work she's done outside of school, any and all testing she's had. You might want to consider having her take a talent search test this year if she hasn't participated in one previously.

The next thing I'd do is think through the low coding issue - is it impacting her at all in her ability to show her knowledge at school? Does she have any accommodations? If she doesn't have any accommodations in place, I'd really think that through and advocate for those accommodations this year. My ds has a low coding score relative to his other subtests and it absolutely impacts his ability to show the full breadth of his knowledge in school and in testing without accommodations in place. Did you have any input re why the coding score is low? If not, having a small amount of follow-up testing or input from a neuropsychologist might really help - there can be different reasons for a low coding score, and some of them (visual processing for instance) can be remediated.

You may not get anything from the school at this point in time. If you don't, and if your dd is ok with it, I'd forge ahead with subject acceleration at home looking to where she'll land in middle school. We had a tough time advocating for acceleration for our ds at his original elementary school due to his lack of organizational skills and low processing speed *and* due to the school staff simply not being willing to consider it. We had ds work independently in math at home using a program where we could track his progress relative to state standards, and when he went into middle school he was able to subject accelerate easily when we showed the school the work he'd done at home plus his state testing results.

Last thing I'll add - your post really resonates with me because we so often heard about how disorganized our ds was in elementary school (and he was, and continues to be organizationally challenged). He also had a tough time fitting in socially. Getting him an appropriate challenge at school made a *huge* difference in his social world, and his organizational skills did improve somewhat simply with age - how many 8 year olds do you know who are truly well organized? Throw in a bit of a challenge with processing speed and/or organizational skills etc combined with a child who isn't happy in school because they are bored and the organizational challenges are just going to be more challenging!

Good luck to you as you advocate for your dd -

polarbear

ps - one other thing I'd add - how unusual do you think your dd's ability is at her school? Is she completely exceptional or are there a lot of other bright kids? If there are a few other peers (ability) another approach to consider is offering to volunteer to work with a small group of high achieving / high ability students yourself on a regular basis in one subject area such as math or writing etc. We have had parents do that with some minor success at my children's elementary school. In our school it worked best starting at the classroom level with a willing teacher rather than having a parent approach the principal first.