My 8yo was identified with a GAI of 135 earlier this year with low coding scores. We are in a small village with only one school, which doesn't have a gifted program so I was concerned about how to best serve her needs. When we initially met with the school they would only focus on the negatives, like her organizational skills and social skills, but said that once we had worked those out we could look at what else she needs.

We did a lot of work with her and towards the end of the school year it was clear that she was doing much better. I asked for a follow up meeting to discuss what we were going to do for the next school year and finally got one on the last day of school, only to have them tell me she is doing better and has been placed with some of her friends for 3rd grade.

I'm frustrated because while I need to get them to do more, I don't want to rock the boat - we can't move to another school, and we can't homeschool so this is our only option. But I can't seem to get them to understand that they aren't doing enough for her.

I had considered asking for a grade skip, since she has already done a lot of 3rd grade work, but I'm not sure how to approach it. I thought about maybe waiting to see how she does then ask for it mid-year. How can I ask for more without burning any bridges?