Originally Posted by EandCmom
Kim, that doesn't sound too great. My 1st grader is doing 2 digit addition and subtraction right now and has done some geometry, time, etc. I haven't been as pleased with his math work this year as with other subjects. They have such a push on reading in the 1st grade that I have wondered if they don't push math as much because they want to concentrate on the reading more?
Ok - we've done some geometry. Shapes and qualities of those shapes. And telling time. I just feel he could have gotten through 1st grade Everyday math in a month a year ago. He knew a lot of it in preschool. I have no idea where he really is in math. Conceptually he gets square roots and fractions. He is working on multiplication and division at home.

I think there can definitely be different takes on the same material and the teacher makes a huge difference. It all depends on how well your child responds to the curriculum and to the teacher that determines how you feel about it.

I think this is very true! I know our first grade teacher is not mathy at all and I imagine privately loathes it. She is not remotely creative or innovative with presentation - it's straight out of the Everyday Math book. sleep

She does give DS and a few other kids some very quality open ended 2nd grade stuff to work on when they get done with their 1st grade stuff.