We use Houghton Miflin math curriculum. I don't think it is wonderful in 1st grade but the 4th grade book has been really great. (at least for my DS)

Originally Posted by kimck
I got a note today that it was a goal by the end of the year to have the kids memorize a small sub set of single digit addition.

Kim, that doesn't sound too great. My 1st grader is doing 2 digit addition and subtraction right now and has done some geometry, time, etc. I haven't been as pleased with his math work this year as with other subjects. They have such a push on reading in the 1st grade that I have wondered if they don't push math as much because they want to concentrate on the reading more? I don't know but I don't worry with him because he is a mathy kid. He's already doing some multiplication and he can manipulate numbers really well and can see their relationships without ever being told how to do it, so I figure he's doing fine.

Kriston said - What's up? Our different takes on the same material? Different teaching styles in different classrooms? Something else?

I think there can definitely be different takes on the same material and the teacher makes a huge difference. It all depends on how well your child responds to the curriculum and to the teacher that determines how you feel about it.

And I'm with 'neato - I hope there are no "math wars" going on out there!!!! LOL!!!!