Originally Posted by Val
I disagree. Teaching maths, reading, etc. is the primary responsibility of the school, not the parents. Otherwise, why do we even have schools?

What are kids doing in school all day if not learning? Why do they need to go home and keep doing what they were supposedly doing a few hours ago and will be doing again tomorrow?

I understand exactly what you are saying. However, I think this only works in a perfect world where all kids are on the same page. I also think it is definitely the parents responsibility to make sure their child is getting what they need. The schools are strapped to try to accommodate everyone and all learning levels. If they work on multiplication until every last child completely gets it, they would never get off multiplication in some instances. Some children just need to work on some things more than others so I don't think the kids who do get it faster should be penalized and wait while the others keep working on it. The teachers have to move on at some point. If my child is the only child not getting something, is it the teachers responsibility to keep working on it with him, or is it mine to get him the help he needs to keep up? (and I'm not talking about problems requiring an IEP, maybe just difficulty understanding a particular subject). Personally, I think it would be my responsibility to help him out. Just as so many here have gotten grade skips, or are after schooling or homeschooling to get their individual child the level of education they need.

Definitely this isn't optimum. But with the way schools currently are, and I don't see a radical over haul coming any time soon (although maybe one could be used!) I think realistically it is ultimately the parents who are responsible for making sure their child gets the education they need. I'm sure others will disagree, and that is fine, but that is just the way I personally feel about it. smile

Kriston said "Most kids learn best by doing, by hands-on work with concepts."

I completely agree, and honestly, I haven't noticed that much drill going on. They do lots of hands on work. Last week they made orange sherbet to demonstrate physical change and today the teacher burned some paper to show a chemical change. I also played science bingo with them to help them remember some of their science facts. They loved all of it! My DS6 made paper last week and they are always doing some sort of hands on project. His class does flip its where they are timed for 1 minute doing addition on one side of the paper and flip the paper and they do subtraction on the other side. I've watched them do it and they all get a kick out of it. So all drill isn't bad. Maybe it is just how it is presented.

Last edited by EandCmom; 04/07/08 06:37 PM. Reason: thought of more stuff!