Originally Posted by kcab
Also, all the comments here are about multiplication facts, which is one discrete area, but "drill & kill" seems to be applied to many other areas at my DD's school. Two months of stress over upcoming tests, followed by almost a month of testing, seems like a waste of time to me and really turns her off. And it isn't really working, DD thinks that some of the kids in 5th aren't even secure in subtraction, never mind mult.

Yes, indeed! The whole reason I mentioned times tables is because that's one area where drill (and not kill) can be useful. But I think most of the areas in which the schools are drilling are not effective.

Most kids learn best by doing, by hands-on work with concepts. Drill is a waste of time for most subject areas.

Originally Posted by Val
What are kids doing in school all day if not learning?

I SOOOOO agree with you on this point, Val! This is why we chose to homeschool. If they have the kids for 7+ hours a day, they ought to be able to teach most of what the kids need to know. If the kids aren't learning at school, then why are they there?

Most days after school, I want elementary school-aged kids outside playing and getting some exercise!

Kriston