My personal take: I don't think there will be much actual value in testing with the SB-LM. What you'll get perhaps is one tester, who after the whole world has gone on to other more modern tests continues to use the SB-LM, giving her personal opinion on how your child stacks up to other children to whom she's given questionable numbers as well, in the context of a sample of children from forty years ago. (I didn't realize it was that old-- good grief!)

I would never, after reading the linked article, pay money for the SB-LM. I might take it if the testing were free, and take the results with a huge grain of salt. I might also consider using other tests, like the SB-5 or retesting with the WISC-IV but a better tester-- and I might want to do this even if I got the SB-LM testing for free.

If after retesting with a modern test your son's PRI or equivalent subtests are still relatively lower, I'd probably shrug and chalk it up to a quirk of his makeup that he's either making more use of verbal reasoning skills than you think, or his visual-spatial skills aren't exposed well by IQ tests.

Aside from identifying learning disabilities or for use in advocacy, I don't think that a few numbers from IQ tests, and the personal feelings of a tester who sees a child for such a brief time, are really all that helpful in making parenting decisions. They are interesting, but not necessary or really all that helpful.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick