Originally Posted by Dottie
I'm a fan of testing to open doors. If a child tests 143, and needs 145 for a program that you absolutely feel he would benefit from, by all means test again. But if the kid scores 146, I'd move on. It really does become more about what the child continues to do in time, than some number on some day.
Yes, that's exactly it. Kids with the same IQ scores are going to have different needs in reality. Whether the 145 kid who needs more educationally and otherwise than another 145 kid actually has a higher IQ, maybe, but it probably doesn't matter. There are few, if any programs, that have a cut above 145 or so. If a child hits that point, the doors are open and it is then up to the child, time, and whatever other factors come into play to figure out what more needs to be done for that child.

I believe that the GDC's opinion is that the LM numbers help tease out how gifted a child is when you are dealing with that tail end. I guess that I'd like to see some hard data that supports that b/c I'm just not convinced. The chart from Hoagies that I posted on the other thread shows some significant variance btwn more modern Weschler scores and LM scores but there were kids with 145 WISC/WPPSI scores scoring the same on the LM as kids with 112 WISC/WPPSI scores. That would lend toward either saying that the modern Weschler tests can't distinguish bright or MG from PG at all or that the LM is not a good way of teasing out LOG at this point, IMHO.