NCMom2, in nearly every state in the country, charter schools are prohibited from discriminating based on ability, academic or athletic etc. there are some schools that have special provisions but they are few and far between and require special legislation to do so. The Davidson Academy, for example, is one that has authorization for ability requirements. However, pilot schools, magnet schools and other school within a school models have completely different state and federal regulations. Here is a definition from NY http://www.p12.nysed.gov/psc/about.html

Ultramarine, I do realize this varies in different areas. However, statistically, in CA where I live, charter school students were leaving predominantly poor performing schools and are leaving anyway, either through demanded parent choice, moving, private school or charters. In addition, the charters in CA that are dependent are required to pay the district a portion of the ADA for students that they have lost. Charter schools get less money per pupil because of this. Also, it is often left out of the discussion that one less, or ten less, kids are not only a loss of funds but a loss of responsibility. The traditional school no longer needs to buy books, pay a teacher or an aide or an administration portion, for that kid.

It has been my overwhelming observation over many areas and years in charter politics that parents don't opt out of successful schools. They leave failing ones, either because it is failing the individual child or the group as a whole. If Traditional schoolsacross the board were doing a better job, parents wouldn't feel the need to seek alternatives. This is equally applicable for students with LDs or 2e issues. People don't fix what isn't broken.