In liberal MA, lots of towns with "good schools" keep their house prices high by mandating large lot sizes and setting aside land for "open space". This largely keeps out the poor and even the middle class as the average home price approaches $1 mil. The teachers' unions and administrators point to high test scores to show what a good job they are doing and ask for more money. Isn't that grandstanding?

Yes, it is, and I don't like this either. I attended schools in a very wealthy area and had some rotten teachers. The teachers may be better now; I have no idea. But it always bothered me to see the equation drawn...oh, look at our great test scores! Must be the teachers and the school system. (Couldn't possibly be the wealthy and privileged population of parents who are highly invested in their kids' education.)

To answer your question, though, I pick on charter schools because I do have concerns about them continuing to siphon money and the best students and parents away from public schools. I participated in this, mind you. I don't fault parents for making the best possible choice for their kids. You do what you have to do. Your child is not a political pawn. But the broader system is concerning.

Last edited by ultramarina; 06/29/12 06:54 AM.