Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
In the case of both, what I've seen is a sense of "here's the menu, and what you need isn't on it. Go to another restaurant if you don't like it."

Lol, you almost quoted the principal of a local charter/option school. I looked at the school for kindergarten for my oldest. It's very close to my house and has some of the highest test scores in the state. When I approached the principal and mentioned that there was a good chance that my kids were gifted and that at least one might have 2e issues, she actively discouraged us from considering the school. She said that they wanted average kids that they could push to become high achieving. They only offered "whole class" instruction and that there were no options to "change the menu." She then said something about them only serving Italian and we probably wanted Chinese.

Unfortunately, I also have heard that our traditional public school which has high test scores also pushes kids out. They use the excuse that they don't have special programs for what the kid needs and recommend that people go to a different school in the area that specializes in "those kind of kids."