Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
It's all rather icky, honestly.

Yes, it really is.

I knew a student who had a certain disability. Her counselor encouraged her to take a class that required abilities she just didn't have. She did poorly, and no accommodation could have compensated for her problems. Every day was a reminder of what she could never do. It was a sad and difficult situation for everyone in the class, including me.

To me, when the counselor encouraged her to take that class, he was far more cruel than he would have been if he'd just said, "Well, I'm not sure this one will be the best choice for you. What about x, y, or z?" There was other stuff she could have done just fine, but the philosophy that "everyone deserves a chance" prevailed and made a difficult situation worse for her.

ETA: Not saying she was 2E or had a disability that could be accommodated. She was really just plain disabled. This anecdote is somewhat OT and more a response to the "icky situation" statement.

I sympathize with the frustrations people have mentioned here. Personally, I think addressing them properly would require a huge shift in thinking among our schools --- in particular, a move away from high-stakes industrialized testing and a focus on real education over test prep.

Last edited by Val; 06/28/12 02:44 PM.