Originally Posted by Faithhopelove19
Sometimes i just think... Why does it even matter? So the kids are smart? Who cares? Why not just ignore it? We homeschool so why not just move at each childs own pace and not worry about "IQ"?
Reasons would include getting insight into possible learning disabilities. You wrote that your daughter is "above average in math and most other areas although she does not excel in school". How does she demonstrate being above average in math and most other areas?

It seems to me like you do want to know whether your children are gifted and/or want them to be gifted (due to guesstimating IQ numbers for them, guessing that your daughter would be X years ahead if formally taught when you really don't know, etc.), although you're also trying to talk yourself out of testing them, which indicates to me that part of you would rather not know for sure. Is this because you'd feel let down somehow if the numbers didn't agree with your own feelings? I agree with you that IQ scores may not matter as much for homeschooled children, and that the most important thing is that each child has her individual needs met.

If I were you, I'd get started on finding out whether your daughter has dyslexia, and worry about the rest of it later.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick