From Nov to end of school year my DS8 (3rd grade) was enrolled in a similiar small private school. 6 students total grades 2-9. He was the only 3rd grader. He is not returning for 4th grade. There are dynamics in a small environment that work for some and not for others. My DS is high energy. The other students were not. The director (main teacher) did not know how to reign that type of energy in.
Also being that he was 8 he did not have the study skills & discipline of a middle schooler (which is where the directors experience was).

If I were you I would probably try the charter first. Socialization is not the main reason we send our kids to school but it's important for their overall development.They need a place where they feel safe and where they feel part of something.

Good luck -- we still don't know what we are doing next school year, DS has testing (IQ, achievement & 2E screening) next week and then we will make our decision.

~SDMom
Every step taken is on the right path even if we don't know exactly where it will take us.