So, I understand the whole theory behind OE's but I have to wonder at what point do OE's become more than just a 'quirk' and become something diagnosable? My DS6 has OE traits from all five domains but there are some in specific that have continued to be problematic and have seemingly gotten worse instead of better as of late.
His psychomotor excitabilities have always been noticeable but were problematic through the school year as well as at church, restaurants, etc... The biggest concern though is his anxiety and sensory issues. He is terrified of the noise of flushing toilets and is terrified that a toilet may overflow when flushing it. He is also frequently worried about thunderstorms, EAS warnings on the TV/radio, making mistakes in front of others, someone not following rules, etc... The reaction can range anywhere from just looking tense to hyperventilating and racing heartbeat, to an all out melt down.
Today he told me that his brain "feels funny" because it felt like one side of his brain was "saying that life is real" while the other side was "saying that life is fake". He said that it felt like the two sides were "fighting with each other to see which one if right". He also complained today of feeling funny in his chest, saying that "it feels like I'm not breathing even though I know I am." and that the fight in his brain was making his teeth "tingle".
I am a nurse and have listened to his checked hi vitals and haven't found anything concerning and he doesn't appear all that distressed most of the time so I am not too concerned that there is an acute medical condition to blame here. My thought is that some of what we have been seeing in him almost looks like a panic attack. There is a strong family history of anxiety disorder as well as some other mental health issues on both sides of the family. My concern is making sure that I am viewing the situation in a balanced manner. Knowing the family history as I do part of me is thinking maybe I'm just seeing things because I expect to find them and that maybe this is all within the realm of OE. The other part is worried however that I certainly don't want to cause my son to struggle more than necessary with something that may be out of his control and potentially limiting for him. I don't expect any medical advice here. I plan to talk with his pedi tomorrow while I'm at work but I was just wondering if anyone else here has BTDT or has any thoughts on where the line is drawn?

Last edited by vwmommy; 06/17/12 10:27 PM.