Originally Posted by ultramarina
Dude, I did read your previous post. Was this reported to the police? What was the outcome? Have you spoken directly to the parents of the other children? I certainly see the concern--I would definitely want to have a lot more information in this situation. However, I would still, just for instance, allow my daughter to cross the street to get the mail, as she does every day. I can see her from the kitchen window.

I just learned about the incident recently, though it happened over a year ago. The targets, along with their younger sister, hang out at my house all the time to play with my DD, and I learned about the incident directly from them. They are both very bright (the younger of the two is identified as gifted) and responsible (the older practically runs her house) kids who would not make this sort of thing up.

Nobody contacted law enforcement at the time the incident occurred. They reported the incident to their mom immediately, and I'm not sure why she didn't report it, though she is noted to have some rather startling memory issues.

I spoke to law enforcement through the grapevine (I have a coworker who is a volunteer reserve deputy, who brought the question to his superiors) and have been advised that they should still be contacted, even though it's been over a year since the incident occurred.

My DW and I disagree on what to do next... she wants to persuade the mom to contact the police herself, where I'm ready to call them and make my own report. She's worried about stepping on her friend's feelings, where I believe our DD's safety (and the safety of all the other little girls on the street) trumps that concern.

We agreed to give DW a chance to talk to the other mom first, but then we went on vacation. I'll be resurrecting this conversation shortly.