Originally Posted by Dude
Smart risk assessment includes moving indoors during a lightning storm or getting out of the water when a shark has been spotted.
Cue me to jump in now because we all actually went outside the other night just to watch the lightening storm because the storm was on the edge of our area for hours and never did move in so it was dry but awesome. (it was the day before the Venus transit- which we didn't see). We'd been checking the weather app to see if it was going to make it this far or not.

I don't have a fear specifically of SIDS, but I occasionally got/get a little anxious going to sleep I guess because if something happens to my kids in the daytime it won't be long before they get a response but during bedtime it's literally half a lifetime before anyone would know anything was wrong to respond to. Of course I recognize it as anxiety and beyond my control, but I actually have to tell myself the phrase, "my kids are fine" when I'm going to sleep.

I'm much more lenient at letting my kids try things/do things/climb things but I'm also quick to tell them if they're not doing it right and I helicopter and I redirect when they're tired because that makes them clumsy. I'm talking about stuff like my 19 month old likes the big slide at the playground, climbs it and puts herself down it. My 4.5 climbs the outside of the tube slide at the playground (allowed by the rules and done by kids a little older). Yes, my kid wears gear to ride his bike. He's got training wheels now but when he gets older and wants to do bike tricks or ride a skateboard it will be too late to introduce helmet rules if he doesn't use one to start with.

Last edited by La Texican; 06/07/12 03:55 PM. Reason: Clarity

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar