With DS-now-8 we've never got as formal as being "offered" a skip, but it's been made clear to us that this is a possible, even an expected on their side, option, and we've jointly discussed pros and cons a number of times. We haven't done it yet because (roughly in order of how big a part they play in the decision, which is more about the extent to which I'm convinced they're true than the extent to which I think they're important):

- in DS's strength areas a skip, or even two, wouldn't have solved the problem of his needing more challenge; and in all areas, I see the issue as more about pace than level, so I'm not convinced it would help all that much with anything

- and he was, and is, in fact getting good differentiation, and being challenged much of the time

- he has difficulty with handwriting (and typing) and would struggle to produce the output required after a skip

- he's pretty happy where he is, and we don't see a skip as likely to make him happier (in as far as he isn't, I think it's because he feels different, and I don't think he'd feel less different if he skipped, he'd just be differently different)

- his executive function etc. are age appropriate (sometimes I'd add, "at best", although he's doing better lately)

- we are considering sending him to a boarding school at 13; this may well not end up being the best option anyway, but a skip would rule it out, as I definitely don't see sending him to board while much younger than his fellow boarders. We'd rather keep that option open

- he quite enjoys sport, but he is small and not very skillful - tolerable where he is, but would be a problem if he skipped.

All that said, I don't rule out that we might do it in future, and I certainly wouldn't make a blanket recommendation against skipping - I think in many cases it's the right decision.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail