I turned one down myself during middle school I wanted to be with my friends and didn't want to feel weird. I turned down going to Jr. College early in HS after we moved to a school with fewer options because I wanted to meet kids in the town where I lived and do band. My mom let me turn these things down. My last two years of high school at the new school were a joke, mostly independent study that was very haphazard and had me doing book reports or working as a tutor. Now, I sort of wish she would have pushed me. First couple years of college would have been not so shocking and maybe I would have learned to study instead of flying by the seat of my pants.

DD11 started early K at a private school at their recommendation, when we switched to public we put her back with agemates because she is little. We gave her no choice, she didn't know we had one. DH thought she was just a little bright despite recommendations from the private school and others. We could have entered her above grade with no questions in fact the school was confused as to why we didn't. I regret it somewhat as she was re-accelerated in Math and probably would have been fine either way. We probably made it more difficult on the school. She is very social and likes her friends but I don't see much challenge even in the accelerated math (except to check her work which is good as well). She will be in a good place in MS next year because we have an awesome program. Elementary school was very slow paced.

DD7 started early K at a private school. We kept her there a year longer and my intention right now is to keep her ahead. It's also what she wants at this point so at least we agree. After my experiences and watching DD11 blossom in the faster paced math class this year, I've done an about face smile. (I know that's not what you asked JMHO)...