Accelerating or not is a really tough question. On the one hand, skipping one or more grades can help meet a HG+ student's academic needs. Two skips have been wonderful in that regard for my eldest. He would be going nuts in 6th grade.

But there's also reality of him being a lot younger than everyone else (IMO, one grade skip doesn't necessarily create this problem, but two or more does). My eldest turned 12 not long ago and is in a class of 14-year-olds who are very different from him physically and emotionally. He's athletic and can basically keep up in PE, but it's still a real issue, anyway. The other kids have been maturing for while in a way that's just starting with him. This is important, and he's even commented on it. We won't encourage him to start college at 16. He can study abroad for a year or something, and is currently liking that idea.

I think that these factors need to be considered before doing a second skip. Things change after elementary school. Age 8 with a class of kids aged 10 or 11 is very different from age 12 with kids aged 14 or 15.

My daughter skipped K and is in 3rd grade. She also has a birthday the day before her school starts (it's actually after most schools around here start). So she's solidly 7 and her friends are turning 9. We probably won't look at a second skip for her, even though she could easily handle it academically.

That said, she would definitely have been unhappy without one skip. She was very enthusiastic about the idea when it happened and is still happy about it. So this is a sign, to me, that it was a good decision. Right now, she's happy with her friends and is in a school that groups by ability. The curriculum also isn't as superficial as the one at our local public schools, which helps.

Skipping or not is a really tough decision, and the optimal outcomes often apply only to parts of a skip. My eldest was happy until he had to change schools when his last one moved out of commuting range and changed its focus. But it was a small school aimed at gifted kids, so he fit in better there than he does at the current school. Now he's unhappy because 1) he's not learning much and 2) the kids are so different from him.

I think our education system is basically lousy for gifted kids. That's the real problem. We're all just trying to cope with it as best we can.